Be A Part Of The Solution
Be Your Community's Air Quality Ambassador
Don't Burn Trash
And if you see someone burning trash, stop them. It is illegal.
Car Pool/Use Public Transport
Be a conscious citizen - it's good for you. Create car pool groups within your own RWA - if there's more than just you heading in the same direction, why take two cars? Have you tried the metro? I have. And its great.
Care For Those Who Protect You
Start with your guards and drivers. Provide them warmth, give them space heaters, thermal layers and a warm blanket for their shifts on duty. Remind them open burning is not legal.
Say No To Diesel; demand early adoption of Bharat 6
Let’s stop buying diesel cars which are very polluting. When in your car, avoid long idle time…. Don’t leave the car engine on for extended periods whether waiting at the market, school drop or pick up, or stuck in a long traffic jam. Ask for earlier adoption of Bharat 6 fuel that is cleaner
Say No To Fire Crackers
The school programs across Delhi has made breathing a wee bit easier for everyone over the past few years, but we need more people to say NO to fire crackers. Start conversations. Persuade others to join you in your advocacy.
Demand local leaders do more to solve this issue. We need our leaders to make wide scale institutional, systemic changes to overcome this problem.
- There is the need to dramatically improve and expand our mass transit system to get millions more on board buses and trains. Delhi needs 13,000 buses and currently has less than half that number. Ask for the new buses to be electric
- Along with this comes the need for better sidewalks, street lighting, bike lanes and enforcement of responsible, safe driving.
- Then there is necessity to upgrade our fuel from Euro (or Bharat) 3 and 4 which are highly polluting to Euro 6 and 7 on a national level well before 2021 targets.
- We need real enforcement of crop burning, enforced regulations on trucks.
- Our trash management systems need serious improvement and expansion in order to make our environment healthier and to stop local trash burning.